- U.S. Department of State Bureau of Consular Affairs - Subdivision of the Department of State whose mission is "... to protect the lives and interests of American citizens overseas and to strengthen U.S. border security." Site includes passport information, travel warnings, embassy registration information, and more.
- Travel.About.Com - Individual articles on travel; produced as a subsidiary of the New York Times Company.
- Trip Advisor - provides recommendations and some booking facilities for lodging (mainly hotels and higher), travel and vacation packages, travel guides and reviews on many attractions and facilities. Provides an online forum for discussion and questions.
- Lonely Planet - Publisher of wide range of travel books; has online forums and guides to travel destinations.
- Rick Steves - Wide range of travel information geared more for travelers than students staying in a particular place for a longer period of time.
- Fodors - Primarily focused on hotels and restaurants; provides some destination guides.
- Design Sponge - Online guides for a large number of cities that feature restaurants, places to stay, area must-see sights, shopping, and more.
- Wikitravel.org - Free community created worldwide travel guides. This site is self-moderating, so verify any information gathered from it.
- Schengen Agreement - Information for U.S. travellers to Schengen agreement nations provided here. This information is relevant only for U.S. citizens. FromWikipedia, "The 1985 Schengen Agreement is an agreement among European states which allows for the abolition of systematic border controls between the participating countries. It also includes provisions on common policy on the temporary entry of persons (including the Schengen Visa), the harmonization of external border controls and cross-border police cooperation."
- XE.com - World currency converter. Also has historical data for figuring out how much your friends owe you for that meal two months ago.
- ASIRT.org - Association for Safe International Road Travel. This page has links to explanations of the road signs used worldwide.
- InsureMyTrip.com - Fast comparison site for traveler's insurance.
- BiddingForTravel.com - Information on maximizing utility from sites that use bidding processes.
- Weekend Student Adventures - Weekend Itineraries and Information for European travel
- Best of the Web - Travel
- Backpack Europe
- In Scotland, a Toast to High Spirits
- Using credit cards abroad: Advice on Using Credit Cards While Traveling Abroad (New York Times)
- TravelMath - Information on various logistical questions encountered in planning a trip, including timing, travel distances, airport information, and travel cost calculation.
- FlixBus - An intercity bus service that offers connections to and from cities in France as well as a wide multitude of other destinations in Europe.
Online Travel Newsletters and Blogs
- AndySteves.com - Andy Steves runs a collaborative student resource for the traveling student abroad featuring economical lodging, activites, and the major sights of many destinations.