Search Search

Other Tips & Logistics

Itinerary Management and Planning

U.S. citizens should visit the U.S. Department of State website to obtain the most accurate and up to date information on passports. Non-U.S. citizens should consult their home government for information on passports. If you are travelling with a Caltech-arranged program, direct any questions about paperwork to the Fellowships Advising and Study Abroad Office. If you are travelling independently, verify far in advance that you will have all necessary visas for your travel; your travel agent may or may not assist with those issues.

The U.S. Department of State provides a registry of its embassies, consulates, and diplomatic missions abroad.

Entry to foreign countries may be made more smooth by producing proof of travel plans showing the intent to leave at the end of your stay. Some countries may also require demonstration of financial wherewithal; simply showing current credit cards may suffice in some situations, but in other cases it may be necessary to show a current bank statement demonstrating the availability of funds.

International phone calls can be difficult. See for more information on this.